California Dealer Temp-Tag Program AB 516 FAQ

What has changed?

Very little has actually changed. These are the facts that are important for you to know:

  1. The “Temp-Tag Program” starts January 1, 2019.
  2. You now will be filing the Report of Sale electronically.
  3. You still print the Report of Sale and affix a portion of it to the windshield of the sold vehicle.
  4. Most vehicles you sell will have California license plates, so the necessity to print Temp-Tags won’t be often.
  5. If you do have to print a Temp-Tag, then it will be because the sold vehicle either doesn’t have a license plate or has an out-of-state license plate.

What is a Temp-Tag?

A Temp-Tag is a temporary license plate that gets printed on your laser printer using a special paper.

When do I need to issue a "Temp-Tag"?

You will only issue a Temp-Tag when the vehicle you are selling doesn’t have either a license plate or has an out-of-state license plate.

How do I print a Temp-Tag?

A Temp-Tag is printed with a laser printer on special, non-destructive paper.

Where will I get the special, non-destructive paper?

You can buy the special paper from our partner, Fairfax Imaging.

Will I have to spend any money out-of-pocket?

No, you can charge an extra $5 for your documentation fee. The cost of the paper for printing is $1.75 per sheet.

How do I handle the paperwork?

The same way you did before. If you worked with a Registration Service you will continue to work with them. If you worked directly with a first line service provider like Fairfax Imaging, you will continue to do the same.

Will I still need to mail the 5-day notice to the DMV?

No, the electronic report of sale takes care of this.

Have more questions?

[contact-form-7 id=”2243″]

Our Partners